Neh is located close to the port at a comfortable 10 minute walk from the old town. Peter the Great decided to establish a war-shipyard (admiralty) in the Tallinn port and this area around the port became a new district, nicknamed “New Holland”.
In the current Tuukri street (“diver street”) houses were built only on the side of the road to Narva. Between this road and port was a wet valley, a number of ditches ran through the area and also the Härjapea river. With its canals and streams it was reminiscent of Holland.
A map of 1854 describes Tuukri as “Strasse genant Neu-Holland”. In 1882 the name was changed to Holland Street. New Holland Street then became the name of the street that led to the port. This street is now called Lootsi…. Limestone warehouses from the late 19th century surround us.
Neh itself stands right where once were the banks of the former Härjapea River which played an important role in the 18th and 19th century industrialization by powering the watermills.